Fatal Accident Compensation

Welcome to our guide for fatal accident compensation. You will find everything you need to know about this area of law, from the incidents that can lead to compensation to how you can get all the support you need. We specialise in fatal accident claims, acting with compassion and experience to help families cope with an unexpected loss.

Make a Claim for Fatal Accident Compensation

The consequences of a fatal accident giving rise to a claim for compensation can be devastating. However, making a claim is simplified by asking us for advice and assistance. We will help you every step of the way.

The first step is to make that call to us. We will guide you through everything you need. Speaking to solicitors at such a complex and sensitive time can be daunting, but as fatal accident claim solicitors, we will always be here for you.

Start Your Claim

Incidents That Can Lead to Fatal Accident Compensation

Fatal accident compensation is possible when someone has lost their life because of another party’s negligent or illegal actions. Here are some incidents that commonly lead to a fatal accident claim:

  • Road traffic accidents
  • Medical malpractice
  • Workplace accidents
  • Industrial diseases (e.g. asbestos exposure)
  • Accidents involving animals, such as horses or dogs
  • Criminal assaults
  • Product liability
  • Premises liablity
  • Wrongful death

These are just some examples where a fatal accident compensation claim could arise. Contact us today to determine whether your circumstances make you eligible to claim.

How We Approach Compensation for Fatal Accidents

The initial work we will undertake to make a fatal accident compensation claim will be as follows:

  • Investigate the full circumstances of the death
  • Attend the inquest
  • Obtain police reports
  • Obtain a pathologist’s report
  • Investigate all losses, including pension entitlements, benefits and lost earnings
  • Advise dependants and anyone who can claim fatal accident compensation
  • Assess if the deceased left a will and who is appointed to represent the deceased’s estate. These are called executors and, in most cases, will be the deceased’s husband/wife or partner. If no will has been left, the person responsible for bringing a claim is usually the deceased’s next of kin.
  • Costs of attending the inquest and obtaining the grant of probate or letters of administration
  • A dependant may bring an action if the responsible person (“next of kin”) does not bring an action within 6 months
  • Apportionment of fatal accident compensation can be achieved by agreement between dependants unless there are dependent children under 18, which will require court approval. Apportionment to children will be governed by the maintenance costs required and providing a lump sum for the child at 18. It may be necessary to protect the children by seeking a higher apportionment than is usually the case.