Hit and Run Driving – Man Jailed
A set of tragic circumstances led to the loss of two young cousins in a hit and run case on New Year’s Eve. The driver was convicted of careless driving and jailed for 4 years.
The set of regrettable circumstances are:
- Hungarian man allowed to come to the UK with criminal convictions.
- His friends also with criminal convictions allowed in the UK.
- Not just criminal convictions but the driver was in prison.
- Three accomplices tried to help the driver get away.
- Driving without a licence.
- The two young cousins moved to the UK for a better life
- Following the conviction, the judge did not know if he had power to deport the men.
The judge heard that the driver who was convicted for careless driving rather than dangerous driving had convictions for car theft, gang robbery and aggravated assault. It was estimated that he was driving about 40 mph in a 30 mph zone, at least he was doing 29 mph. He was charged with careless driving rather than dangerous driving due to the fact that CCTV footage showed that a van had obscured his view resulting in less time to react.
Posted: July 3, 2017 at 1:25 pm