Six year old girl passed away due to mantelpiece.
An unmarked trade man fitted a stone mantelpiece has appeared in court after the mantelpiece crushed a six year old girl.
The six year old girl suffered severe head injuries after the fireplace which was installed by a 39 year old male fell on top of her. It is believed that the fire place came away from the wall after her swinging on it while she was playing. She died in hospital due to catastrophic fatal injuries.
The trades man was jailed for 8 months as the judge said he was “guilty of carelessness”. He used adhesive sparingly to attach the fireplace which weighed 13st 8lb to the wall and used other short cuts.
The fireplace was fitted around 8 months before the accident occurred. The tradesman was self-employed though he had been employed by fireplace manufacturers as a warehouse operative and driver in 2005 up to 2007.
He handed in his notice in 2007 became self- employed fitter after shadowing for 3 months. He was not properly trained when he became self- employed. The court heard that the mantelpiece should have been done by drilling into the back of the mantle so the mechanical fittings could be applied around the wall. The tradesman admitted that he breached the Health and Safety Regulations.
The 36 year old male was jailed for 8 months and ordered to pay £1,000 costs.
For more information please see link:
For compensation for loss of a loved one please concat us for fee sympathetic advice.
Posted: July 31, 2014 at 7:05 am